An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Business Affairs Manager to join Kobalt’s Business Affairs team in its master rights division in London servicing the needs and development of Kobalt’s fast-growing recordings business, AWAL. The role will involve hands on negotiating and drafting of our digital distribution and wider label services agreements, as well as supporting and assisting the team with more complicated deals and organisational and operational elements critical to the smooth running and rapid evolution of AWAL. It will provide an excellent opportunity for you to develop both professionally and personally in an unusual and highly progressive music company.
Founded in 2000 by Willard Ahdritz, Kobalt is building the music company of the future. Kobalt is a global music and technology company built for artists, songwriters, publishers and labels as an alternative to the traditional music business model. Kobalt have built the technology infrastructure to enable better reporting and for artists to retain ownership and control over how their work is distributed, tracked, collected, and monetized. This global technology platform is able to track and collect royalties for the billions of micro-payments per song in digital music today.
Kobalt has revolutionized the music publishing business by putting the creator at the centre of everything we do. We are now taking the same approach and transforming the way recording artists release music through AWAL. Whether an artist or independent label is looking for the best digital distribution or a truly global campaign, AWAL has become the partner of choice for innovative artists and entrepreneurial labels at all stages of their career or expansion. This has crafted a high-quality path for artists and music entrepreneurs to remain outside of the traditional label system while retaining ownership of their masters or master rights. The leading artists who have already chosen AWAL include Lauv, Nick Cave, Deadmau5, Bruno Major, Little Simz, Verite, Tom Misch, You Me At Six and the Wombats.
We’re currently 600 people based across 10 offices and we’re still growing
WHAT DOES A BUSINESS AFFAIRS MANAGER AT AWAL/KOBALT DO?
- Negotiating, drafting and handling the signature and the implementation (along with internal teams) of various client (both artist and B2B) agreements and side letters originating in the world ex. US for AWAL
- Negotiating, drafting and running the signature and implementation (along with internal teams) of commercial agreements and licences connected to AWAL’s business including physical distribution licences, exclusive territorial licences, DSP licenses, sponsorship and branding agreements, compilation licences, promotional uses, tech development agreements and other third party licences
- Advising and supporting our AWAL marketing, operations, creative/A&R and Management teams on a variety of matters including without limitation on deal terms, IP matters, GDPR/data use-related matters, dispute resolution, dealflow processes, best legal and business practice and general BA queries
- Maintaining good relationships with external lawyers – especially at Associate level
WHAT SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- 2 years PQE with relevant experience from a top music/entertainment private practice law firm and/or in-house role within a Major or indie record label. Individuals with in-house music publishing understanding and passion for the recorded music part of the industry will also be eligible for consideration
- Strong negotiation and drafting experience
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to disseminate complicated legal and contractual principles to non-lawyer staff in a coherent and precise manner
- A good existing music industry network of contacts and an interest in going to gigs with the AWAL team to solidify professional relationships (both internal and external) would be a bonus
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to prioritise workload in a role that at times can be pressured or working to tight deadlines
2018 Financial Times Boldness in Business – Drivers of Change Nominee
2018 Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Music
2017 Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Music
2017 Music Week Publisher of the Year
Check out our blog:
- Based at River Building, Cannon Street, London EC4R 3TE
- Hours are 37.5 hours per week. Generally, these are taken between 9.30-6 with 1 hour for lunch but amendments to these hours can be agreed on a case by case basis with line manager approval
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom. Verification checks will be conducted during the interview process and a full DBS check on acceptance of offer. Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
KOBALT MUSIC GROUP BENEFITS FROM DAY ONE
ANNUAL LEAVE | Contractually 25 days, however Kobalt closes its offices for the 3 days between Christmas and New Year’s when staff contribute 1 day.
LIFE ASSURANCE | Equal to four (4) times base salary.
INCOME PROTECTION | Covers up to 75% of base salary up to the age of 65.
PENSION | Kobalt comply with auto-enrolment legislation, and currently contribute 2% of qualifying earnings if eligible staff stay in the pension scheme, currently with Aviva.
TRAVEL INSURANCE | Business travel insurance cover.
GYM MEMBERSHIP | Corporate rates available at Nuffield Health and Fitness First. Kobalt will subsidise £45.00 gross per month towards your corporate gym membership if your membership is processed through company payroll.
LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT | As part of your ongoing learning and development you will have access to a range of tools and courses appropriate to your role and career goals. These include, but are not limited to Udemy for Business and Bookboon E-library.
EYECARE | Full eye test provided at a range of opticians through a voucher scheme.
WELLBEING | Wellbeing Hub and Employee Assistance Programme.
FRESH FRUIT, SELECTION OF SNACKS AND CEREAL SUPPLIED
REGULAR STAFF SOCIALS | Including seasonal social events and parties.
POST PROBATIONARY PERIOD BENEFITS
PRIVATE MEDICAL INSURANCE | Policy is with the AVIVA ‘select’ scheme, with the ability to upgrade to a partner or family membership.
TRAVEL INSURANCE | Personal travel insurance, individual or family cover.
INTEREST FREE SEASON TICKET LOAN SCHEME (eligible after 1 month of service) | Loans deducted from net pay over a 12-month period.
CYCLE TO WORK SCHEME | In partnership with Evans Cycles